Sofia Jernberg & Alexander Hawkins - CANCELLED
In order to slow down the spread of the corona virus, this show is cancelled. If you have tickets for this event, 30CC will inform you personally about further actions. Ticket holders do not have to take any action themselves for the time being.
Soprano and composer Sofia Jernberg is a rising star in the Scandinavian free jazz scene.
Born in Ethiopia in 1983, she currently resides in Oslo and Stockholm. She is part of the Norwegian The Fire! Orchestra, but also keen on solo work and collaborations with artists like Hailu Mergia or Mette Rasmussen (Moe, Godspeed you Black Emperor). As a vocalist she explores the boundaries of her voice, using it as an 'instrument' and improvising to her heart's content.
Alexander Hawkins is without any doubt one of the most innovative and experimental pianists in the UK.
In his own projects, he mostly works in duo, with artists such as Evan Parker, John Surman or Tomeka Reid, or in trio with Nicole Mitchell and Tomeka Reid. Furthermore, he collaborates with Shabaka Hutchings and Louis Moholo – Moholo. In 2019, he launched his new solo album ‘Iron into Wind’ (Intakt).
In this duo, they draw on their shared affinity for the music of Ethiopia, having both honed their languages in the company of musical elder statesmen from that country: Jernberg with Hailu Mergia, and Hawkins with Mulatu Astatke.
- “continues to chart a course that will inevitably place him in the creative category of pianist/ composers of the calibre of Cecil Taylor and Andrew Hill” -(All About Jazz)
- “...it is the singing that is most impressive. Jernberg's vocal agility is sweeping, analogous, conceivably, to the range of sounds that Wadada Leo Smith can generate with the trumpet. She is a phenomenon that merits attention.” – (Karl Ackermann, All About Jazz)
- “one fabulous continuing stream of consciousness with strong references to Ethiopian music. Seamlessly fading in and out of musical areas they interconnected different musical spheres and domains in unprecedented, subtle and credible ways. Both drew from rich sources and in real-time composed a fabulous, naturally flowing stream of captivating music, a rare and almost unbelievable thing. Jernberg is an amazing performer, who can do almost everything vocally with great inner concentration in a non-agitated, mildly smiling way. It was an outstanding, memorable performance.” (Ljubljana Jazz Festival 2017 - Henning Bolte)
with Sofia Jernberg (vocals) and Alexander Hawkins (piano)
- Presale: € 9
- Doors: € 12
- Culture Card KU Leuven: - € 2
- UiTPAS reduction rate: € 2,40